Wednesday, April 23, 2008

More Internship Info...

Round 2 came late last night and was just as I expected-not many, somewhat expensive, random places or masters programs. All of which I hated to admitt that would be my only choices. After researching a few places last night until 2am I decided to apply to IUPUI, Loyola University, Cox College of Nursing, and followup with an internship that I had applied to in the first round that had an opening. Let me just note that our director told us today there were a record amount of people who applied this year for the internships (Not good news for me or 15/27 other PU students who applied). The problem is internships are decreasing their number of positions and some places have closed, but the demand is still growing so therefore people like me get screwed!

This morning I woke up and tried to contact directors about the openings-couldnt get ahold of loyola (they are 1 hour behind) and the directors inbox was full (not a good thing). Then I left a message for St. Louis-then was informed around 9:30 am they filled their only position! After speaking with the Loyola director I realized how many people were applying-around the ball park of 150-200! Good night-thats a lot of people so she emialed me to see what my GPA was and if it met her requirement at 12:00pm...It did! :) Then at 2:00 I got an email saying "thank you for your interest but bc of the demand we are now only accepting applicants with GPA greater than 3.5!!" You have to be kidding me! So thats out, St. Louis is out-the only 2 left are IUPUI-which has 4 openings to fill and they really like Purdue and the professors here and Cox College of Nursing. Whos ever heard of that? I havent and I really wouldnt want to go there, but I'm looking for some kind of option, but hopefully IUPUI will call tomorrow with good news, but the timeline is different for all internships in the second round.

So now I just sit and wait and hope that my grades this semester wont affect re-applying in the future if I dont land an internship. I'll keep you posted on the news.


As for Laura, the I will graduate in May with a BS in dietetics, but in order to become a Registerd Dietetian (RD) then I have to complete an internship (which I have been applying for since October)-the first round of apps was due in Feb, and Sunday was when we saw those results and I was denied! We are in round 2 which could last a week or an hour depending on if the directors of programs have openings. If and once I get an internship it will most likely be 8-10 months long starting in August. After that is completed, then I will take the RD exam and pass to become a dietetian. If I dont get an internship now, I have to wait and re-apply in October or Next February-it stinks because my career goals are on the line and kind of frozen if I dont get a position! Hope that clears up this mess!

1 comment:

LauraSuz said...

I gotcha now! Thanks for the explanation.