Today, our CEO emailed me to finalized the maternity leave paperwork. She included in her email that I could take 12 weeks, but only 6-8 (depending medically) would be paid for!! YIKES, I was planning on 12 nice, easy, paid for, wonderful, lead me to summer-weeks paid for with Nora...I cried. At work. For 2 hours while working because I was so sad.
Because it would mean returning to work Mid-April, I called the potential babysitter that I was sort of, but not banking on to talk to her about scheduling. Since Jake gets off at 6:15 he's not home until 6:30-6:45ish...but most sitters want kids picked up by 5, 5:30 or 6:00 so we knew this was going to be an issue on the 2 nights I would be working each week. For some reason I was naive to think this babysitter was different-I had too high hopes-as she doesn't watch kids past 5:30pm.
That coming on the heals of a shortened-well, halved-maternity leave kept the emotions running for a while. I'm calm now, but still a little upset. Jake has reassured me that we will figure it out, but unfortunately the time to "figure it out" is running out and will run out quicker now that its only 6 weeks!
Bad timing for such an emotional time.









2 comments:
Can you pay for it out of your vacation? I was able to take a full 12 weeks- 6 weeks paid through my job, 4 weeks paid out of my vacation/personal time and the remaining unpaid. Our vacation was a rolling bank though, rather than one lump sum at the end of the year, so I could take vacation I hadn't yet "earned".
I hope you figure out something that works for you- its so tough sometimes to balance everything.
I can and may use my vacation. Right now I have 7 days + 4 floating holidays to give me an extra 2 weeks. But, ours is like yours in that we get it as we work except that we can use vacation time we haven't earned-we just wont get it in the future. The only problem with that is taking a vacation in August/September-I wouldnt have any time!
We have come up with several options, but none of them were as good as 12 weeks paid. I trying to be thankful I get paid leave-I know a few people who dont.
Post a Comment