Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lesson Learned

So the past 3 days I've been at our National Nutrition Conference (FNCE) in Boston! Yay exciting because its a change of pace, but it gets dark at 4:30 pm, it was raining, and I was tired a lot of the time. However, I was in charge of booking our hotel. My boss likes to stay as close to the convention center as possible, if not in the convention center hotel. Well, that wasn't happening-we jumped on it too late. So, we ended up booking at the Intercontinental Boston (a 4 or 5 star hotel on the waterfront-hey it was the closest!). Probably the most expensive hotel I've ever stayed at before. Anyway...we checked in to them being over booked in the 2 queen bed rooms so we were upgraded to a suite! One with a living, dining, 2 bathrooms-glass shower and HUGE tub separate, etc you get the point.

I'm nosey and I like to see what everything is in the room, but I was trying to find the TV guide so that I knew what channel Amazing Race was on-turns out the guide was on the TV. Through my search I stumbled on the mini bar and the prices!! to the mini bar. Holy Cow! $5 for a 10 ounce diet coke, $8 for peanut m & ms, $18 for a shot of grey goose, etc you see the point here. Well, I learned my lesson with these highly expensive items when after I had touched and taken them out in excitement over the price I found out (from my co-worker Christina-who I didn't believe was right until we called the front desk) that every time you touch something-whether you eat or drink it or not, you get charged automatically! What?! I know you are thinking the same thing...how can they do that. Well, its an automated system that has sensors and can tell when you remove something and it is automatically charged to your bill. It doesn't make sense only because if you are nosey & excited like me I just took them out to show my boss how much they were and placed them back in their rightful places (I even "faced" them-made it so the label was in the front since that's how they were before my fingers touched them). So there it all is touched, but still there and they still charge! They still charge even though a guy comes around daily checking the mini bar and restocking it. I would think that he would see that its still there, but it doesn't matter. Wow! Fortunately, since we called front desk to see if it was true the receptionist said she would have it all removed providing that it was all there when the mini bar guy checked it the next day. Phew! That was a close one. I'm sure I wont have to worry about it in my personal future since we are cheap and go for hotwire.coms <$100 hotel rooms/night (not over $400), but remember that when you almost puke over the prices of the mini bar. I knew my mom always told me to look with my eyes and not with my hands! To be honest, I'm still shocked as I'm typing!


1 comment:

Lindsey Leonard said...

Did you have fun in Boston? I was just there 2 weekends ago. We stayed at the Marriot Longwarf. I love Boston and hope you got to explore some!