Sunday, January 16, 2011

Desert Like

Our house is desert like when it comes to the humidity in here. The past few weeks it's been hard for me to sleep at night because it's so dry. Jake says it's because we have natural gas that heats the house and apparently it is the driest kind of heat. Last night was my tipping point. I was up every 45-60 minutes getting a drink or trying to clear my nose even though it was so dry I could barely breath. Miserable was how I was feeling & I ran out of Sudafed so all I had for some means to breath was Vix Vapor Rub which, thankfully, gave me a few hours of non-consecutive sleep. (I guess it has been getting me ready for the baby!)

Today we decided to get a humidifier. When we turned it on it was 24% humidity in the living room-this was at 4 and 3 hours later its up to 29% on high and should be making its way closer to 45% humidity by the time we get to bed. I'm hoping this makes sleeping tonight better-I read on the Internet (I know, not always a good source!) that low humidity makes you at higher risk for developing cold like symptoms which I have scratchy throat, stuffy/running nose, etc and puts you at higher chance of getting a cold. So I'm not actually sure if I'm sick or the house is so dry I feel sick because of the lack of sleep. I'll find out after a few days.
What's funny about the whole deal is that one of the houses we looked at had a humidifier hooked up to the heating system & our realtor was hyping it up-at the time I was wondering why...now I know!

No comments: