Monday, June 6, 2011

It's Garage Sale Time

Garage Sales are one of my guilty pleasures in life and now is when they are in full swing.  Every other community around us has a community wide garage sale day and they advertise with huge signs.  Whenever we drive by one I can just hear Jake clenching his teeth hoping I don't see the huge-unavoidable-not-gonna-miss-it sign that is posted at the front of the neighborhood. 

I've always been a garage sale kind a girl-always looking for the lowest price and best deals around, but now that Nora is around I love them even more FOR THE TOYS and other kids stuff.  Our community sale brought a couple good deals on toys for her even though they are for when she is a bit older, but garage sales don't happen in the winter....but then again that's what Craigslist is for! This past weekend I cleaned up at a few community sales.  I first went on Friday morning. Since I'm not working Fridays its nice to get to the sales the day before most people go out so I can get all the deals-see how this is a game for me?! I scoped them out first before lugging the stroller out and wasting time that  I could spend down the road at other sales and decided this upscale neighborhood was a good find.  I strolled around getting a few things mainly for myself. This lady was selling a bunch of Pampered Chef grilling spices and a Easy Accent Decorator that had never been opened for $5...Cha-CHing! I've been waiting for the next PC party to get the Easy Accent Decorator because we take deviled eggs to my side of the family for a lot of our get togethers.  I got a few cute outfits for Nora that day too, but most of the toys were $3-$7 and I was not paying that price at a garage sale! I mean come on...seriously?

Well, little did I learn later that day at Babies R Us that $3-$7 for the toys they were selling was a HUGE discount since most of those toys were $45 and up! Holy Cow! I went back Saturday morning and scooped up all the toys that were fifty cents to $7 and seemed cleanable.  I never realized how expensive toys were especially when kids get so bored after 2 minutes with a toy.  Later that night I disinfected all the toys and stored them away for when she is ready to play with them.

Next weekend there are 2 more community sales I think I'll go to just to see if I find anything worth the money.

No comments: