My mom and Alan visited back in July and bought us a hummingbird feeder to stick on the kitchen window that faces the back yard. For the first month we didnt have any hummingbirds at all, but lately we've had so many that we purchased another feeder. The one my mom and Alan bought was hard to see from the screened in porch and deck so we found the perfect spot for the new one-on a thingy that the old homeowners used to hang a bird feeder. Side note: I wanted a bird feeder, but Jake said theres already enough birds out here and that we would only draw the nasty, black, mean ones closer to the house and it would cost a lot of money to feed all the birds in the neighborhood! I agreed since behind our house is an open pasture with a woodsy area filled with birds. We even sometimes see hawks (I think thats the bird) and other weird, not normal birds with long legs flying around usually landing on a dead tree behind the walking trail. Back to the hummingbirds...We were up at my grandparents and they said that this time of year they drink more to fill up and fly south on the wings of some bird (I cant remember which) and then in the spring/summer they hitch a ride back up and they swear they have the same ones every year. We've probably spotted 6-7 in a 5 minute period. They sit in our only tree in the back yard and wait, take turns to get to the feeders. They arent used to the new one yet, but hopefully they will understand its there too. This "bird" feeder is cheaper since I make the food as needed and out of water and sugar with a little food coloring-even though my mom said they will come if its not red-I just think it looks prettier! Sitting out here now, I havent seen one yet...bummer. I'll post pictures if I can snap one of them...those suckers are fast! Spoke too soon-theres one, gotta go! 



1 hour ago










1 comment:
I had to laugh when you said Jake thought it was too expensive to feed the birds. He sounds just like Jason!! But I told him we had to at least keep the feeder in the front window for Bella to watch her birdies! I love hummingbirds! Hope you can snap a pic of them!
Post a Comment