Several times today I said to myself, "Whats that again?" beginning with this morning. Jersey had an appointment at the Vets office today to get spayed. She woke up as usual and was excited when I asked her "if she wanted to go for a ride?". Of course she did..as she looked at me, ears up in excitement. I was less than excited becuase I knew what she was going to have done and I was a little nervous (hence questions to Jake last night about dogs getting spayed and if they die, or if they are going to be OK followed by tears in my eyes and on the verge of crying because I didnt want my dog to die!!-hormones I tell you, hormones).
Anyway, we get to the Vet and I felt like an unprepared mom, no idea if shes up to date on vaccines, if shes allergic to anything, how much she weighs, how old she is...etc the list goes on. Then as the girl picks her up to weigh her she says, "wow you're heavy!" I'm thinking shes ~14.5 pounds thats not heavy and it didnt hit me until I got to the car and was driving back to work when I realized our dog might be overweight! So, I go through work thinking "What was that again...was the lady calling my dog fat, how much should she weigh, how much should she eat, etc".
Flash forward to 4:30 when I pick Jersey up-she was less than excited to walk and tired looking. I start talking to the Vet, "so...is she overweight? How much should she weigh?" to which she replied, "I wouldnt let her get much bigger than what she is now!!". Holy cow I'm a Registered Dietitian and my dog is overweight-is all I could think about! And now shes bed ridden for 10 days with limited activity...GREAT what am I supposed to do starve her?! We have been apparently buying puppy food which has more calories, so we need to switch her to a nice dog food with less calories and she should be fine (wouldnt have thought about that one either).
So then we start talking about anything else: toenails clipped, flea collar, etc and I ask, "how old do you think she is?" Because we got her from Jakes cousin we dont have too much history on her so I thought I would ask...she replied, "well, looking at the tartar on her teeth shes probably 3-4 years old". (Wait, what's that again? Dogs have tartar? Are you kidding me?) So, what do you do about that? Apparently there are doggy toothpaste and/or doggy bones with tartar control-who knew? Maybe more time at Pets Mart may do us some good...we also need to buy bones because we didnt thinking that our dog doesnt play with toys, but that doesnt mean she doesnt like a bone every now and then. We learned that one on Sunday night!
So after all that flea collars are useless, our dog has a tartar problem, shes too old to eat puppy food, and shes overweight makes me feel like a horrible mom. Good thing this baby takes 9 months to get here..hopefully I'll have all that ironed out!









3 comments:
Rox- I feel the same way about the dog even when I think I have everything figured out. Dogs are a whole different world!
Roxanne you crack me up!! Don't worry, you will be a wonderful mother to your "human" baby...lol. Kids are totally different than dogs! At least when they are 3, they can tell you that they need to brush their teeth! Love ya guys!
First off-Congrats! Hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months!
And don't worry-dogs are pretty forgiving! Babies are pretty easy to read once you figure out the language. And it doesn't take long as I'm fairly certain that the first night in the hospital when you are asleep the drs slip in and download all the important mom info into your brain. Its a very natural thing and you'll do great!
Post a Comment