Friday, November 4, 2011

Taste the Rainbow

Last week I was a baby-food-makin-fool! I spent most all of my "free" time to make sure we had a freezer full so I wouldn't have to buy or make any for a while.  It was much easier than I thought it was going to be.  I either roasted in the oven (squash, butternut squash) or boiled (any whole fruits, frozen fruits, etc) or steamed (any vegetable that came in a steam bag with no salt or sugar added) then pureed either in our food processor or our magic bullet knock off, "the rocket".  Then I froze it all in ice cube trays for nice portions & put in a quart sized bag once they were frozen.  The part that made the process take longer was freezing.  I gave most of our ice cube trays away because we have an ice maker-so I only had 2 to work with.  Another part that took a while was running the pureed food through a wire sieve-for broccoli and asparagus and anything else that had seeds, strings, or clumps. 

The extra work pays off in money spent especially when a bag of frozen peas cost $0.98 and makes an ice cube tray worth which is more than triple what you can buy in the store! Just another way to save so I can stay home part time and so far it's been worth all the extra work. 

Nora's food so she can taste the rainbow: peas, carrots, peaches, pears, blueberries, squash, green beans, asparagus, sweet potato, butternut squash, broccoli, apples, and mangoes
The day before I set some out in the fridge to thaw for the next meals to come...here are peaches for tomorrow morning-One of her favorites!

Now if only I could get through her eating it all! She has learned to spit and blow raspberries when she has food in her mouth (aka: me covered in spattered food!).  We stopped & started 'meal time' 3 times the other day because she was spitting her food out everywhere.  She was definitely hungry, but apparently didn't like the carrots & chicken she was getting for dinner.  Yesterday she had the same thing & ate it all.  I guess she's learning that she has 'options' already at 7 1/2 months! She already has a mind of her own.


1 comment:

Jackie said...

Love the new family pictures! Can't wait to see you guys! Are we still on for NYE in Plainfield??